Ten Things You Should Know About Theo James
Here are ten fun facts we found out about this new Hollywood icon:
1. Theodore Peter James Kinnaird Taptiklis was born in Oxford on December 16, 1984. His exotic name derives from his Greek grandfather who lived in New Zealand, and he also has English and Scottish heritage. The youngest of five children, he changed his name since ‘Theo James’ is a little easier to spell.
2. He actually became an actor by accident. After graduating from the University of Nottingham with a degree in philosophy, his girlfriend at the time planned to audition for drama school, so he tried out too. He was successful, and she didn’t get in!
3. While studying at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, he was a classmate of Antonia Thomas, who went on to play Alisha in Misfits. They starred together in the short film Monsoon Nights.
4. If you haven’t heard the name, you might remember him from ITV drama Downton Abbey. He played Kemal Pamuk, the dashing Turkish diplomat, who after seducing Lady Mary in her bed promptly died there. The Grantham family were forced to conceal the terrible secret of her indiscretion.
He may have been in only one episode, but he certainly had a lasting impact on the show.
5. If Downton doesn’t stir your memory, surely his role in The Inbetweeners Movie will?
Playing the main villain James, Simon’s rival for Carly’s affections, he is at the center of many of the film’s best stunts, like when he knocks down Simon with his quad bike or when Jay hands over his hidden money in the toilet.
6. James is very musical – he used to be the lead singer in the London-based band Shere Khan. He sings baritone, plays guitar, saxophone, piano and harmonica, and he even likes to beatbox. If he hadn’t gone into acting, he should have become a one-man band!
7. He has several strings to his bow and some interesting hobbies. A dancer of ballet, tap, and jazz, he enjoys boxing, basketball, rugby, deep sea diving and even cliff jumping. As if this wasn’t enough, he also learnt parkour and undertook training with knives and whips for his role in Underworld.
8. James is extremely accomplished at accents and can talk in a range of voices, from Southern Irish to Scottish and New York American. When filming, he likes to retain his character’s accent throughout, even between takes.
David Letterman jokingly asked him on his show why they didn’t just get an American for his role in Divergent, and perhaps the Americans who love a British accent were dismayed when James uses a US accent in the film.
9. While his looks might be the subject of many a fansite or Tumblr account (there’s one named in honor of his eyebrows!), he wants to be known for his acting ability, saying: “I know I often get a job because of how I look. I hope that I keep the job because of how I act.”
10. He wasn’t always in the most glamorous of jobs. Before he shot to stardom, his less savoury posts included bartender, lifeguard and working for the NHS, cleaning the houses of the recently deceased. Wonder what his old colleagues think now?